Pages

5.05.2012

Stars and stripes

Much of my work is political commentary. I enjoy playing with the pattern of stars and stripes using red white and blue patriotic commercial fabric. Of course the ultimate source of stars and stripes is the flag of the United States.

I found this amazing book in an antique store in Massachussetts. An incredible collection of art and memorabilia of all types and things US flags. What inspiration particularly timely as I just completed my first work that not only uses the red white and blue palatte but is a direct nod to our flag.





I was apprehensive to use the flag motif was it too pat? Too easy? I was reassured looking at the images in this book. Sometimes I get caught up in how others may view my work and I step away from what drives me and guides me through the process.



What excites me is finding and using commercial fabric to express my ideas.




Here is a current example of flag as art by Luke Haynes. It is made of an old flag he found in a goodwill. He reworked the fabric that was still intact. It is part of his American Context Series. The size is 9 feet x 13 the original flag size 20 x 30 feet.




Haynes has a solo show which just opened in NYC at the Eli Alexander Gallery. Always exciting to read about a solo show of quilts in NYC but that's another post.

You can find his work at www.lukehaynes.com

Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: