Pages

5.07.2012

Installing #9 with Johanna and starring Johanna

The greatest thing about this world of fiber is the people you meet and I am lucky enough to live in Pittsburgh home of an incredible Fiberarts Guild.  Yesterday was the installation of our member show Lenses and Filters juried by Susan Brandeis. I am honored to be included in this show.  It looks fabulous! 

You Better Think THINK Think about...#9 Protest Series was accepted and it is my first grid wall installation that requires precision to hang.  Yikes!  I have learned alot about what not to do as well as what to do when hanging exhibits for the guild specifically Fiberart International. It is amazing how some artists put zero planning in what work they send and how to hang it.


For this piece a template is the way to go.  I punched holes in  a paper template so I could mark the walls.  Once the paper is level away you go.  Each mask attachs to the wall on a form using push pins.


Johanna and Ann were hard at work attaching the masks to the forms when I arrived (I was late...)  and the hard part of placing the template had been done. Johanna (pictured below) helped prepare the rows. 
Johanna also has work in the show and her work is amazing!!!  She is a quilter and uses this medium to express her views and life experience.  She is an inspiration!  


I had little sleep so remembering to bring the camera (NOT) so had to use the iphone (NOT WELL) the photo below is of Johanna with her quilt. I will provide a better photo later this doesn't begin to do it justice.
Here is a photo of her work Iraq War which was exhibited in our show Unveiled juried by Arturo Alonzo Sandoval.  Johanna won the Kor Award for the most Compelling Inspiration. Once again this photo does not begin to do it justice. And it is another example of a US flag interpretation.
Thanks for all your help Johanna and Ann and Carolyn!

No comments: