Pages

5.06.2012

Celebrating Keith Haring

I am a huge fan of Keith Haring who would have been 54 this year. I love how he developed a visual vocabulary to express human emotion through his use of line to develop symbols. HIs work is deceptively simple.

A few years ago I stumbled upon a copy of his journals in a used bookshop in Camden, Maine. His journals are endlessly fascinating he writes so well about the development of his work and process.




Quote from January 22, 1979 after a drawing class and critique:
"Things to be considered:  The importance of individual forms.  Do they transcend symbols and are they expressing my most creative powers?...Try my favorite shapes in a number of different scales, placements, mediums etc.  Create images that reflect my own spirit more clearly, more precisely.  Trust my own taste, don't be self-conscious."

A major retrospective of his work is on exhibit at the Brooklyn Museum through July 8th. 

Fun video Get into the Groove!:



No comments: