Pages

3.09.2008

The Quilter's Catalog by Meg Cox

I have to begin with an admission of bias about this book. My sister, Barbara, is the copy editor.

But, I am so impressed with it, I had heard just bits and pieces about the volume of the material and the size of the undertaking of the book which is massive. I was eager to read the results. No disappointment.

Meg Cox, the author, is a very good writer. Her enthusiasm about the subject is infectious. The book is divided into sections quilt history, who quilts, why we quilt, with what we quilt, how we quilt, how we learn to quilt, who are some of the quilt gurus, how to finish the quilt. Every section is so interesting. Although I am familiar with alot of the material I am enjoying reading Meg's presentation.

I haven't finished it yet, and do tend to skip around a bit. Obviously it is a resource and not meant to be read sequentially but as you need. It's over 500 pages. But if I were new to quilting and trying to understand how to get involved, this book covers everything. To have in one volume the information on all the major quilt shows and what to expect if you attend, for a class or otherwise is fabulous. Meg thinks of everything.

If you are a member of the quiltart email list as I am and have been for years. You will read quotes from many listers whose posts you have read over the years.

For me the most valuable section so far is about sewing machines mid-arms and long arms. Terrific resource to help anyone make an informed decision about this type of purchase,complete with links to internet sources to learn more. I didn't understand the difference between a mid-arm and long-arm, I sort of guessed and now I get it.

Ok I am biased, but even so I recommend anyone who quilts, young or old to purchase this book. It is a delight and a reminder of what a wonderful community the quilt world is, how exciting it is to be a part of it, how much more there is to learn and what wonderful opportunities exist within it.

No comments: