Pages

3.01.2008

HBO Documentary The Gates


HBO recently aired a documentary on the Gates which was installed in Central Park February 12 - 27, 2005. This is a chronicle of how Christo and Jeanne-Claude were able to see their artistic vision realized.

The
documentary is fascinating you get a sense of the magnitude of the project and all the difficulties they faced. In particular you get a real appreciation for what is involved in the creation of public art that must be approved by various members of city government and the community. Particularly interesting is that the project is proposed at no cost to the city and still it is not approved until 2003.

The filmmakers do a fabulous job of editing the various meetings and interviews of the key people in NYC to tell the story, which begins in 1979. It is NYC and everyone has an opinion, but you realize that this would be true in any city. They also interview people on the street before it is installed as well as once it is in the park. They film the construction of it and depict the choreography of the installation and subsequent unfurling of fabric panels. It is breath taking, and exhilarating even on film. What a celebration of the city, one gentleman says that it gives "a sense of hope and cheerfulness. It feeds the soul."

The views of it are numerous and glorious in all types of weather. The way the fabric billows in the wind and the sound that it makes.

But what I particularly loved is Christo's explanation of why he created the work:

"The most essential part of all our projects coming from a former communist country, I will never, never do something for some reason. I will do only these because I like to do it. I have unstoppable urge to do this project, they are absolutely irrational, irresponsible without any justification this project has only happened because artists like to have them."

Unfortunately I was unable to see The Gates in person, but my sister lives there
and took these photographs.

Enjoy and watch the documentary if you can.



















4 comments:

Del said...

HELLO, Penny! Through some convoluted cyber-path I discovered your blog this morning. I've always been fascinated by Christo's works, so I like enjoy pictures taken by people who experience it - my thanks to your sister. It is great to see your work at the Woman Made Gallery - Congratulations. I'll put you on my blog list and keep up with what you are doing. Love, Del

Penny Mateer said...

Hi Del!

Thanks for visiting and posting. My sister, Barbara, took a number of photos of the Gates. I'm still getting the hang of posting photos and have some frustration so I ran out of steam and stopped at 4.

Thanks for the congratulations. I'm delighted you've added me to your blog list I'm a fan of yours.
Love,
Penny

Linda Teddlie Minton said...

Penny, I also caught this HBO Special last week, and was surprised to learn how long Christo and Jeanne-Claude had been trying to get The Gates project approved ... wow, talk about dedication to your art! Keep up the good work, you've made a great start to your blog.

Penny Mateer said...

Hi Linda,
Glad you saw the documentary. I'm trying to get the hang of blogging. The upload and placement of photos takes a bit of time but I'm gaining on it. Thanks for posting.