Pages

3.16.2008

Fabric Collage Workshop: Tina Brewer




I was delighted and honored to be asked to assist with a fabric collage workshop taught by one of my favorite quilt artists and mentor Tina Brewer. Tina creates story quilts. She brought four quilts with her to the workshop for inspiration and reference. I wish I could direct you to her website, but sadly she doesn't have one. But I can direct you to publications and for this post Threads of Faith by Carolyn Mazloomi and Patricia C. Pongracz. One of the quilts Tina shared with her students was There Are No Mistakes (photo in Threads of Faith). What better choice for exploring art, fabric, creativity and self-expression. It's an awesome piece.

Anyway, Adrienne Heinrich and I were her assistants. We had two days of classes two different groups. The students were high school students. And the work they created was inspiring. Tina is a wonderful teacher her enthusiasm is infectious. The students dove into piles of fabric as Tina brought something for
everyone, they cut, stitched, used wonder under collaged, and the day was finished practically before it began. I think I learned as much if not more than the students did.

Photos provided by Adrienne, I wish I had thought to bring my camera. I was most impressed by how the students jumped right in no hesitation, completely spontaneous, what I strive for when I work and rarely achieve.

My role was to help with quilting, got a little carried away. It was a tremendous opportunity I hope to do more. I have a great fondness for teenagers. A very successful two days made possible by the VACOP Program through the Associated Artists of Pittsburgh.




3 comments:

Unknown said...

Penny,

I love this post!
Thanks for sharing your day. Of course I am quilt nerdy and want to see your machine in the picture when you are working with the young fella!
The picture of the quilt produced is just great, it tickles me to see his eyes turned up and to the side, and what a lovely piece!
Dena

Penny Mateer said...

Hi Dena,

Thanks so much. The machine is my Bernina I have logged many hours on it especially recently hence the lateness of my response.

I bet you will enjoy the recent post as well.
Thanks for posting!
Penny

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!