Pages

10.23.2010

Mighty Grip

I am working on a piece composed of recycled rubber pads the type you open jars with. I recently scored Mighty Mouse (one of my personal favs) fabric on ebay. Walked by my stash and saw McDonalds fabric and an idea was born. I have been thinking about creating a piece about fast food.
This is the lay out on the design wall.

This is it's first incarnation. It is a work in progress. Today I submitted it to the Fiberarts Guild of Pittsburgh for the members show Recycle, no dice but I haven't fully worked out how to install it which didn't make it easy to be juried and I have another idea brewing for presentation which would sort of kick it up a notch.

Here is a wonky close up.

I almost didn't submit it because it doesn't feel complete but possibly complete. It was a quandry. However I do think it's important to support our guild and submit to shows and see everyone.
It's going to be a great show some of my favs are in it. Recycle opens November 19 at Pittsburgh Center for the Arts

2 comments:

Jeanne Marklin said...

I can't believe a store sells M&M's in bulk! I could see printing that photo onto fabric and make it the background for your round thingies. I love the northwest, and the southwest...

Penny Mateer said...

It's true sold in bulk. A grocer in Pittsburgh does now too but the store isn't anything like what I found in Bend. Print the photo onto fabric there's an idea.
Thanks!