Pages

11.14.2008

Fiberarts Guild of Pittsburgh

What an incredible last few months it has been which is why I have neglected the blog for so long. This has been my year to co-chair exhibitions.  Spring into summer it was the The Associated Artists 98th Annual Exhibition at the Andy Warhol Museum, juror John Carson.

What a time it's been. My siblings and I had to go through the contents of our childhood home and decide what to keep and what to let go of, a terribly difficult and intense process. 

Then I got married the high point of the year. 

Now I am co-chair with Laura Tabakman for Making Connections the Fiberarts Guild of Pittsburgh. It opens today November 14th and runs through January 25, 2009 at the Pittsburgh Center for the Arts .  

What a treat this experience has been.  Our juror was Nancy Davidson who makes incredible sculpture from inflatable weather balloons.  She uses humor to explore cultural issues, brilliantly I might add. Her work can be found on www.nancydavidson.com . Nancy's lecture on her work and discussion of her process was fascinating.  Spending the day with her through the jury process (work on site) was an incredible learning experience.  

For both of my co-chair gigs I have had the privilege of working with thoughtful and talented artists.

I was fortunate to have my piece My Dad's Pad's Things We Found in our Parent's House #1 chosen for the exhibit.
My father was a prominent physician who died in 2006.  I did a photo transfer onto fabric of his blank prescription from his prescription pad.  Each prescription is something he used to say often, quilted, and embellished. 

2 comments:

loriek said...

"Then I got married the high point of the year." I like how you snuck that in there. Anyone I know? Hope this wasn't a hasty decision...These whirlwind relationships...

Congratulations.

lori kasenter

Penny Mateer said...

Well, it took us 13 years to decide.............
You sure have met him, Randy.

Many thanks!
Penny