Pages

6.12.2008

Back on Track


After a long hiatus I am writing again determined to be more disciplined. Working towards understanding the benefits of a blog and maintaining a log of my thoughts in a public way.

Like all of us I got overwhelmed with activity. For me I am a co-chair of the Associated Artists 98th Annual Exhibition at the Warhol Museum. What an adventure. I am learning a tremendous amount but it is unbelieveably time consuming. Today I realized I have a little over two weeks to finish my own piece, the fabric I plan to use on the back only just arrived today. Sometimes I work best under pressure.

In addition I am working on a commission which didn't go together quite as easily as I anticipated. A patchwork of sweaters and sweatshirts backed with microsuede. Seemed like a good idea at the time, using the correct needle essential but only one out of two machines would do it, my Bernina.

Last night I attended a lecture given by Nancy Crow who has a show opening tonight at the Regina Gouger Miller Gallery at Carnegie Mellon University 55 quilts 1988 - 2008. I have never heard Nancy Crow speak. She is a force and I am mulling over many thoughts. I am sure my thoughts will gel once I have seen her work in person. Prior to now I have only seen one of her pieces in the flesh. Mary Thomas wrote a thoughtful article in the Pittsburgh Post Gazette

The Three Rivers Arts Festival is running. I have a piece in Icing on the Cake Pittsburgh 250 Happy Birthday Celebration at Wintergarden in PPG Place. I was surprised and delighted to discover that Mary Thomas chose it for advertising in the Pittsburgh Post Gazette. I didn't have time to shoot it but I have posted what the paper ran so I had to scan.

2 comments:

Margaret McDonald said...

I really wanted to go to Nancy's lecture last night. the 6 hour one way trip was prohibitive. I'm looking forward to your thoughts. I attended my first workshop at Nancy's barn a month ago. I am planning to get to the show this summer.
Maggie

Penny Mateer said...

Hi Maggie,
Thanks so much for writing. Six hours is a long drive. Still mulling over the lecture. I do recommend the trip to see it. What is most striking to me is the color in her quilts. It is so intense and vibrant. Her new work is drop dead gorgeous.
Penny