Pages

6.01.2012

Stand! #8 Protest Series Part 2

I was delighted to have Stand! accepted in the 2012 Westmoreland Juried Biennial. The juror was Kerry Oliver-Smith, Curator of Contemporary Art, Samuel P. Harn Museum of Art, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL.  My first installation and thankfully not far from home.


I completely under estimated how much space it would take to pack up and move.  I had to rent a van in the 11th hour.  Randy was awesome he was able to assist at a moment's notice.


The size of the installation varies according to venue.  The potential number of heads used is 25 - 52.  When I saw the number of pieces accepted into the show I guessed that I wouldn't be using all 52 but was prepared to none the less.


Packing them was a challenge.  I originally thought I would wrap the stands end to end with a moving blanket but none available big moving day I guess.  So I wrapped them in disposable paint cloths.  To protect the bases from chipping during travel I thought I would wrap them with thin foam padding also out of stock so I cut up insulation material.  




Giant zipper ziploc bags are wonderful for head storage and packing up drop cloths.




The initial unpacking took up a lot of room.  I fear the museum staff thought I was going to take up the entire floor!  In fact I was putting them together and getting acclimated to the surroundings.  I love installing artwork it reminds me of a technical rehearsal in the theater it is quiet, unruly and exciting.




The head count and that is just one table...



Starting to pull them all together.  I am used to working in two dimensions so I am still feeling my way around presentation varying the height of each stand plus intermingling the pattern.  Not to mention this is the first exhibition for Stand!  I anticipate it will change according to venue. 



Next the placement of the two onlookers.




Almost there with Barbara Jones, Chief Curator in the background in the shot.  I thought I took a photo of her but apparently not oversight on my part.  I was a bit overwhelmed with the entire process, wonderfully so and Barbara was helpful and generous with her time.  She did a wonderful job installing the show more on that later.




The final shot pre-opening.  A total of 32 heads used.   A tremendous learning experience from beginning to end.  

No comments: