Pages

2.22.2008

Woman Made Gallery


More on my visit to Chicago. A bit last minute but the motivation to go to Chicago was to see one of my quilts Unchained? in a show The Commercial Woman juried by Colette Gaiter. The show was rich and varied, very impressive. As always seeing it on line didn't begin to do it justice.

The top photo is of Unchained? from the back of the gallery towards the street. The photo beneath it is the view upon entrance. My piece was hung beautifully and caught the eye right away. It was the first time I had seen it hung as I intended. It hung in a library for 3 months but had to be supported by a free standing frame. The library show was fabulous, it generated alot of discussion about art and quilts, what is a quilt?

Back to Chicago I was taken with the space.
The gallery fills with natural light on a sunny day. I had the opportunity to meet one of the board members Margo Jeanchild who is delightful and very enthusiastic about the gallery. Our good friends Skip and Cindy joined us for the week-end. I don't know Chicago very well but I am eager to return. A great time was had by all. Check out Woman Made Gallery

2 comments:

Nikki said...

I love your Unchained? quilt. The way you attached each of the pieces is wonderful. How did you get it to hang so straight. I attempted a much smaller wallhanging made with inchies trying something similar.

Penny Mateer said...

Hi Nikki,
Thanks so much. I had to stop and think for a moment about your question. I think it hangs straight because the blocks are made of peltex, which is sturdy enough to poke a grommet through and then the number of links of chain is consistent between the blocks. The Peltex 72 double sided fusible is made by Pellon and can be purchased at Joann's. Hope this helps and thanks for posting.
Penny